Tuesday, 9 October 2007

Tuesday 9th October

Another rainy day here which means there is a huge pile of washing either hanging in Ka's room or lying waiting to be washed. Hopefully tomorrow will bring better weather.

We've had rather a big set-back to the house - the electrician went to hospital by ambulance this morning because he couldn't speak properly so it could be a small stroke that he's had. I don't know what will happen if that's the case but there is a good chance that the house won't be ready for C & S's arrival. There was another guy helping him but it might be difficult for him to explain everything that's needing to be done and it's the most important part of the work that really needs to be done within the next few days. It's like dejavu from when we were building the house we are in just now - that time it was a different electrician who had heart problems! Anyway, if the house doesn't get finished in time, it doesn't. I'd hate it if the electrician became really ill just because we were impatient.

A bit later (midnight to be exact!)
It turns out that the electrician did have a mild stroke and will be in hospital for the next 3 weeks. Setsuo went to see him this evening and he was so apologetic (even crying) which made Setsuo, and then me in turn, feel really bad. What is a few weeks delay against being ill? He had phoned his friend to see if he would finish off the work before he even phoned the ambulance so maybe the friend will contact us tomorrow. To be quite honest, apart from the fact that everyone may have to stay in a hotel, I am not at all bothered about it since we will get there eventually. I have already told the students (and my landlord) that we will be moving at the end of the month but I can always postpone it. I feel so bad about it all.

Other news is that the toilets and sink units are already in and I prefer the colour of the sink unit (outside the bathroom) to that of the kitchen if I'm honest but that's a secret! I still don't like the toilet in our house - I didn't when we chose it, I preferred a different make but Setsuo wanted one made of ceramic so I went along with his choice for a change! It is an amazing toilet though - when you walk in, the lid lifts up automatically and the seat lifts at the push of a button (I think even the adults are going to have fun with it!!). It also does other things which have become very run of the mill here in Japan but for our visitors from overseas, it's going to be rather cool. If nothing else, you're going to have fun in the toilet!

At long last I have got rid of the two saddles, bridles and other horse-riding paraphanelia that has been in the boot of my car for the last 2 years! There is a space under the stairs in the entrance hall which we are supposed to be blocking off (building regulations) but I have put all of it in there before the 'wall' covering the door is put up. Once the building has 'passed the test' the wall will come down again and we will use it as a cupboard! It's such a shame to just block it off as there is a lot of cupboard space there. I can now go and collect Mum and Dad at the airport in my car too since I have the space for their luggage.

A went back to Tokyo this afternoon. We didn't really get to spend so much time together since I was teaching until late both yesterday and today but she'll be back next weekend with work and then again for the party on the 26th so it's not too bad. She managed to go out with friends on Sunday night so hopefully felt as if it was worth coming back.

No comments: